Jane served as a Trial Attorney in the Tax Division of the United States Department of Justice where she received intensive legal experience in both tax law and litigation. Through various speaking engagements and her extensive writing on tax procedure, Jane has shared her knowledge and experience with others in the legal profession and interested individuals.
Jane was selected by the Forbes In-Flight Radio Network as one of America’s Most Influential Women. Her interview, which discusses the nature of her tax practice, was broadcast on all American Airlines flights in Spring, 2006 and in September and October, 2006 on all US Airways and America West flights as part of the Newsweek Business Show. The interview may be heard on line by accessing Jane’s link at www.skyradionetwork.com/women.cfm
Jane’s biography has been included in Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law, Who’s Who of American Women and Who’s Who in the East. She is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel, and she was selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America.
- Law Offices of Jane C. Bergner, 1993 – Present.
- Member, Feith & Zell, P.C., Washington, D.C., 1989 – 1993
- Partner, Spriggs & Hollingsworth, Washington, D.C., 1986 – 1989
- Of Counsel, Arter & Hadden, Washington, D.C., 1983 – 1986
- Rogovin, Huge & Lenzner, Washington, D.C., 1976 -1983
- Arnold & Porter, Washington, D.C., 1974 – 1976
- Trial Attorney, Tax Division, U.S. Department of Justice, 1967-1974
- Chapter 50, “Tax Court Jurisdiction, Procedure & Practice,” Mertens, Law of Federal Taxation
- Volumes 9, 9A “Tax Court Practice,”(1,400 pp.), West’s Federal Forms Series
- Chapter 187, “Court of Federal Claims Practice,”(300 pp.), West’s Federal Forms Series
- “Payments Received in Lawsuits and Settlements,” Kleinrock’s Tax Expert (2006)
- “Income, Gift and Estate Tax Considerations Affecting the Ownership and Transfer of United States Savings Bonds,” 19 Estates, Gifts and Trusts Journal 135 (July 14, 1994), 45 The Monthly Digest of Tax Articles 54 (June, 1995)
- “Expanded Relief Available to Make Many Elections,” 50 Taxation for Accountants 68 (February, 1993)
- “IRS Using Authority to Seize Qualified Pension Plan Benefits,” 2 IRS Practice & Policy 80 (January 10, 1992), 11 Tax Management Weekly Report 79 (January 20, 1992), 19 BNA Pension Reporter 307 (February 17, 1992), 17 Tax Management Estates, Gifts and Trusts Journal 113 (July 9, 1992), 2 Tax Management IRS Practice & Policy Bulletin 208 (July 10, 1992), XIV Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association Journal 24 (Summer, 1992)
- “ESOPs and Other New Applications of Section 6166,” 10 Estates, Gifts and Trusts Journal 111 (July-August, 1985)
- “Not for Men Only; Why Women Need a Will,” 3 Women’s Work 33 (May-June, 1977)
- Fellow, American College of Tax Counsel.
- Chair, Taxation Section, District of Columbia Bar, 1985-1990 (Award of Merit for Outstanding Bar Section)
- Award Recipient: (1) District of Columbia Bar Award for the Best Section Community Outreach Project, for establishing and chairing the Taxation Section’s Tax Days Project, to bring nonfiling taxpayers into the taxpaying system; and (2 ) Award on Honor Roll of the American Society of Association Executives for Outstanding Community Service, in recognition of the District of Columbia Bar Taxation Section’s Tax Days Project
- Chair, Tax Audits & Litigation Committee, District of Columbia Bar, 1990-1993
- Chair, Regional Liaison Meetings Committee, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association, 1993-1995
- Chair, Subcommittee on Important Developments, Committee on Civil and Criminal Tax Penalties, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association, 1991-1993
- Chair, Subcommittee on Special Litigation Issues, Committee on Court Procedure, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association, 1987-1989.
- Chair, Subcommittee on Liaison with the Tax Court, Committee on Court Procedure, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association, 1983-1987
- Member, Committee on Government Relations, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association, 1995- present.
- Member: Tax Court Judicial Conferences, 1986, 1994, 1999; Court of Federal Claims Judicial Conferences, 1988 – present (Speaker in 1998).
- Member, Washington, D.C. Estate Planning Council.
- Member, Federal Bar Association.
- Member, Board of Directors, Jewish Social Service Agency;
- Board Secretary, WAMU-FM Radio Station of the American University, 1983-1987
Admitted: District of Columbia Bar; U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; U.S. District Court, District of Columbia; U.S. Court of Federal Claims; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; U.S. Tax Court.
Law School: Columbia University, LL.B.
Born: Schenectady, New York (Jane H. Cohen)
Agencies: Internal Revenue Service